Monday, February 21, 2011

Handling the Roots of Disrespect

Mom friends, how do/did you handle the roots of disrespect? 

Yes, we're in the throws of "toddlerhood" where "no" is her favorite response to being told to do something and "shhhh" is her favorite way to try and prevent us from telling her something in the first place. Time outs aren't very effective and we try to reserve spankings for dangerous situations only (running into the street for example) so I'm just wondering how others have handled the beginnings of disrespect... 

I know she's too young to understand the concept of "honor your mother and father" although I've tried to explain to her what "respect" and "obey" and "disrespect" and "disobedient" mean, and I don't like having to constantly be battling her. Yes, I do "pick my battles" and let the little stuff go, but when she's deliberately disobedient or disrespectful, what is the best way to deal with it? What can I do with her at 2.5 to help set a good presidence for the future? When I tell her to do something and she tells me to "shhh"? When she outright refuses to do what she's told?

For the moment I'm just praying for patience and guidance... And realizing that my mom was right when she said "paybacks are he**" :)

No comments:

From Tablet to Table: Where Community Is Found and Identity Is Formed by Leonard Sweet My rating: 3 of 5 stars Those who know me know I&#...