Thursday, July 11, 2013

Book Review: Princess Stories: Real Bible Stories of God's Princesses


So I am WAY WAY WAY behind in getting this review posted but life gets in the way of the best of intentions so better late than never! 


Princess Stories: Real Bible Stories of God's Princesses written by Carolyn Larsen and illustrated by Sergey Eliseev was sent to me several months ago for review from Tyndale House publishers. I set it aside for a while as we were in the middle of reading the Magic Tree House books, but I have to say that once we picked it up, I was sorry we hadn't started it sooner! Written with the 4-8 year old girl in mind, this wonderful book has become a favorite in our home. This beautifully written volume brings to life 29 "real life" princesses from the bible and includes not only a paraphrased version of the woman's life but a key verse, a look into her life (in first person narrative) and follow up questions to help prime the heart of your little princesses. The illustrations of each princess are a delight and while I'm sure not accurate, they do help give a face to these beautiful women and their place in our Christian heritage. 


As a mother of two young girls (almost 3 and almost 5) who are both into the "princess thing", this couldn't have come into our lives at a better time. While I do not have a big problem with Disney princesses, it is a really wonderful opportunity to help our girls see the beauty in REAL princesses who have helped to shape the faith we are raising them in.  My girls LOVE reading these short stories about the "real" princesses and ask for this book quite often during our bedtime reading time. They come away from story time taking about the virtues of these women and how God helped them or lead them or used them for His purpose and really enjoy knowing that these women really lived and aren't just make believe. I have recommended this book many times over now to friends with little girls and really suggest anyone who has a princess-loving little one in their lives take a look at it. What better way to encourage "real" princess behavior that to share examples of Godly women that they can look to as they grow!

*DISCLAIMER: While I have not been monitarily compensated for this review, Tyndale House Publishers HAS provided me with a complimentary copy of this book for review.

No comments:

From Tablet to Table: Where Community Is Found and Identity Is Formed by Leonard Sweet My rating: 3 of 5 stars Those who know me know I&#...